Early diagnosis and treatment of colon cancer and rectal cancer results in the best opportunity for a cure. Although there are many symptoms associated with colon and rectal cancer in the early stages of the disease, many patients do not seek colon cancer treatment because they don’t have have or show symptoms. It is critical that everyone have proper colorectal cancer screening. Colon cancer screening and rectal cancer screening should be discussed with your doctor at your annual physical.
Colorectal cancer usually starts in the glands of the colon or rectum lining as non-cancerous (benign) polyps and slowly develops into cancer. Colorectal cancer symptoms may include blood in the stool, changes in bowel habits, pelvic pain, narrow stools, and unexplained weight loss.
Colorectal Cancer Treatment
Advances in minimally invasive technologies and surgical techniques have changed colon cancer treatment today.
Our colon cancer surgeons are experienced in the latest minimally invasive colon cancer surgery—such as robot-assisted colon resection—to treat colorectal cancers. NWH is a training epi-center for robotic colon surgery.
With the enhanced precision of the da Vinci Surgical System, experienced colon cancer surgeons perform the most delicate procedures, leaving healthy tissue intact. This woman was pregnant when she was diagnosed and treated with robotic colon surgery.
Pregnant, Gina’s search for a colorectal surgeon willing to treat her colon cancer led her to Dr. Gerald Wishner at NWH.
Whether you are coming to The Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center to begin your treatment plan, or for a 2nd opinion, our cancer specialists are committed to helping you understand your colon cancer diagnosis and your colon cancer treatment options so that you can make an informed decision about the best plan of care for you.
Multidisciplinary Team of Experts and Resources
At the NWH Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center in Mt. Kisco, NY, you have access to a compassionate multidisciplinary team of experts in the area of colon cancer treatment all in one place and close to home—including:
- Gastroenterologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, specialized surgeons, pathologists, oncology nurses, and integrative medicine professionals.
- Our Tumor Board discusses cancer patients on a case-by-case basis in a multi-specialty forum.
- Access to advanced diagnostic testing in our all-digital Radiology Department. Our Radiologists, Pathologists and Oncologists work together to provide prompt results and the best treatment options.
- Sophisticated interventional radiology procedures that have been used for years to treat colon cancer at Northern Westchester Hospital.
- Chemotherapy is provided in the soothing setting of the Laurie Bass Sklaver Infusion Center.
- Advanced options in radiation therapy are available, tailored to for colon cancer treatment. Radiation is administered under the direction of the Radiation Oncologist.
- Colon cancer patients have access to the therapeutic services of the Health & Wellness Program—many at no cost.
- Medical technology and operating rooms reflect the state-of-the-art in cancer surgery.
- Experienced healthcare professionals specialize in colon cancer treatment in the Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, a collaborative, multi-specialty cancer center.
To learn more about the excellence in colon cancer treatment offered at Northern Westchester Hospital, visit our Contact Us page, or give us a call at 914.242.8115.