Whether you are coming to The Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center to begin your bone cancer treatment plan, or for a 2nd opinion, our bone cancer specialists are committed to helping you understand your diagnosis and your treatment options so that you can make an informed decision about the best plan of care.
Most of the time cancer in the bones is a cancer that has spread to the bones. This is called metastatic cancer. Other kinds of cancers that are sometimes called “bone cancers” start in the blood forming cells of the bone marrow − not in the bone itself. The most common cancer that starts in the bone marrow and causes bone tumors is called multiple myeloma.
True (or primary) bone cancers are called sarcomas. Sarcomas are cancers that start in bone, muscle, fibrous tissue, blood vessels, fat tissue, as well as some other tissues. They can develop anywhere in the body.
Multidisciplinary Team of Experts and Resources
At the NWH Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center in Mt. Kisco, NY, you have access to a compassionate multidisciplinary team of experts in the area of bone cancer treatment, all in one place and close to home—including:
- Radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, specialized surgeons, pathologists, oncology nurses, and integrative medicine professionals.
- Our Tumor Board discusses cancer patients on a case-by-case basis in a multi-specialty forum.
- Access to advanced diagnostic testing in our all-digital Radiology Department. Our Radiologists, Pathologists and Oncologists work together to provide prompt results and the best treatment options.
- Sophisticated interventional radiology procedures that have been used for years to treat bone cancer at Northern Westchester Hospital.
- Chemotherapy is provided in the soothing setting of the Laurie Bass Sklaver Infusion Center.
- Advanced options in radiation therapy are available, tailored to treat your cancer. Radiation is administered under the direction of the Radiation Oncologist.
- Bone cancer patients have access to the therapeutic services of the Health & Wellness Program—many at no cost.
- Medical technology and operating rooms reflect the state-of-the-art in cancer surgery.
- Experienced healthcare professionals specialize in bone cancer treatment in the Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, a collaborative, multi-specialty cancer center.
To learn more about the excellence in bone cancer treatment offered at Northern Westchester Hospital, visit our Contact Us page, or give us a call at 914.242.8115.