Head, Neck & Thyroid Cancers
Whether you are coming to The Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center to begin your head, neck or thyroid cancer treatment plan, or for a second opinion, our head, neck & thyroid cancer specialists are committed to helping you understand your diagnosis and your treatment options so that you can make an informed decision about the best plan of care.
At the NWH Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center in Mt. Kisco, NY, you have access to a compassionate multidisciplinary team of head, neck and thyroid cancer specialists all in one place and close to home—including radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, specialized surgeons, pathologists, oncology nurses, and integrative medicine professionals.
Radioiodine Therapy I-131
A Non-Invasive Approach to Treating Thyroid Cancer
At Northern Westchester Hospital, patients with thyroid cancer may be treated with radioactive iodine (RAI) or radioiodine therapy, also known as I-131.
Your thyroid gland absorbs nearly all of the iodine in your body. I-131 is ingested in liquid or capsule form and concentrates in thyroid cells. The radiation in I-131 can destroy the thyroid gland and any other thyroid cells—including cancer cells—that take up iodine, with little effect on the rest of your body.
Multidisciplinary Team of Experts and Resources
We take a multidisciplinary approach to caring for patients with head and neck cancers. Vital functions such as breathing, speech, and swallowing can be affected by both the cancer and its treatment. We offer significant expertise in a variety of specialties to help our patients address the complexities of head and neck cancers--including:
- A team of registered dietitians, speech and swallow therapists, and pulmonary therapists create an customized treatment plan to address the challenges faced by head, neck and thyroid cancer.
- Head, neck and thyroid cancer patients have access to the therapeutic services of the Health & Wellness Program—many services at no cost. The Health & Wellness Program is designed for our patients with cancer, and offers a variety of supportive healing treatments to complement traditional medicine.
- Our Tumor Board, will discuss cancer patients on a case-by-case basis in a multi-specialty forum.
- Patients have access to advanced diagnostic testing in our all-digital Radiology Department. Our Radiologists, Pathologists and Oncologists work together to provide prompt results and the best treatment options.
- Several sophisticated interventional radiology procedures used for years in head, neck and thyroid cancer treatment at Northern Westchester Hospital.
- Chemotherapy is provided in the soothing setting of the Laurie Bass Sklaver Infusion Center.
- Several advanced options in radiation therapy are available, tailored to treat your cancer. Radiation is administered under the direction of the Radiation Oncologist.
- Our medical technology and operating rooms reflect the state-of-the-art in cancer surgery.
To learn more about the excellence in head, neck, and thyroid cancer treatment offered at Northern Westchester Hospital, visit our Contact Us page, or give us a call at 914.242.8115.